– Use a glass jar with a wide mouth
– Add the dressing. I suggest a home-made vinaigrette, see recipe below. If you add the dressing at a later step the salad will get too soggy.
– Add crunch and crisp veggies like carrots, beets, celery, peppers or beans. This layer protects the other ingredients to get soggy.
– Then add softer veggies like corn, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchinis or cucumbers.
– Add a protein like tofu, chicken, cubed ham, cheese or turkey.
– Add a layer of whole grains like brown rice, pasta or barley to make it more satisfying.
– Finally, the last layer is lettuce or greens like arugula, spinach or romaine lettuce. Sprinkle it with nuts to give it more crunch.
– Seal with the lid and store in the fridge.
When you are ready to eat the salad give it a good shake and enjoy. ?
Recipe for home-made balsamic vinaigrette:
(makes about 1 cup)
– 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
– Fresh-ground pepper
Spoonful of mustard, minced shallots, minced garlic, minced fresh herbs, teaspoon dried herbs, spoonful of honey or brown sugar
Combine the olive oil and balsamic in a jar or other container with a good-sealing lid. Add a big pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Screw on the lid and shake vigorously. Dip a piece of lettuce into the vinaigrette and taste. Adjust the salt, pepper, or the proportion of oil and vinegar to taste.