The rainy and gray days are creeping up in our life. What about the nice breezy workouts in the fresh air? Light clothes vs. being bundled up in full gear? Don’t let that stop you from having an active and healthy lifestyle. Check out new classes in your gym, join a fall sports recreation group or work with a Personal Trainer. Pick something new and go for it. Another obstacle to overcome in this cozy season is our craving for “comfort food”, which are as caloric as they are tasty. Here five proven strategies how to avoid the seasonal weight gain:
1. If the food is white, it’s probably not right. Avoid processed white carbohydrates such as white bread, bagels, rice, pasta and pizza. Replace with whole-
grain products, brown rice – or try pasta made from quinoa or brown rice.
2. Don’t drink fruit when you can eat fruit. Fruit in its natural form is healthiest. It is filled with fiber and antioxidants with their inherent benefits. When fruit is liquefied, it loses much of th
fiber and increases the concentrated sugar load on the body. An apple a day will keep the doctor away, but a glass of apple juice might not.
3. Sitting is the new smoking. Increase your daily physical activity by moving more each day. Aim for at least 30 min a day – no ifs, and or buts.
4. Don’t skimp on sleep. Aim for seven to eight hours a day. This will allow you to function at your best and prevent many illnesses that are associated with sleep deprevation.
5. Maintain a gratitude attitude every day. Looking at life with a positive attitude can help to deal better with everyday challenges. Remind yourself that from challenges, come opportunites.